Shipping hides or capes instructions
At Mounts Unlimited Taxidermy, we tan hides for customers all over the country. That’s right, you can ship your hides to us for tanning. It’s best to ship your raw, uncured hides frozen for second day delivery by adhering to the guidelines below. You can also send your hides to us after they have been fleshed, salted and dried via UPS Ground.
- Fold the hide flesh side to flesh side, then continue folding like an accordion. DO NOT ROLL UP THE HIDE!
- Place folded up hide in a thick plastic bag and freeze until solid.
- Just before you ship (preferably on a Monday or Tuesday), remove the hide from freezer and place in another thick plastic bag.
- Place the frozen, double bagged hide in a box. Also, in the box include a Ziploc’d piece of paper that includes:
- Phone number
- Indicate hair on tanning (rugs) or leather tanning (crafts)
- A 50% deposit is required prior to any work commencing.
- If the box has extra space in it, fill the void with anything that will help insulate the hide and keep it from shifting around.
- Securely tape the box closed and take it directly to a shipper. We recommend UPS second day shipping. In the winter months(if the box is well insulated) UPS ground can be utilized to save some cost, however, we cannot be held responsible for hides lost or damaged during shipping to Rocky Mountain Tanners.
- Again, we highly suggest shipping only on a Monday or Tuesday to avoid your hide sitting in a warehouse over the weekend! We do accept hides year round.
- Once we receive your hide, we will give you a courtesy call to let you know we have it and obtain any information still needed. If you do not hear from us after an inordinate amount of time, track the package and give us a call.
- Hide tanning takes an ESTIMATED 6-9 months, so please refrain from calling us asking if and when your hide is done. It is in our best interest to get your hide back to you as soon as it is tanned and inquiries will only lengthen the process. We will call you when your hide is ready to be picked up or shipped back to you.